Thursday, September 11, 2014

Cultural Perception #2 - Indian Women

The Cultural Perception of Indian Women:

Link to an article about arranged marriage by NY magazine: http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/culture/features/11621/





I was blown away as I observed some of the rash generalizations made about the Indian culture. More specifically Indian Women. The single story that I observed about Indian women entails their journey of being portrayed having no agency, especially when it comes to choosing who to marry. The media makes you believe that these women are unhappy with arranged marriage. Also I feel that the media depicts indian women in their very festive outfits and decorative Henna & jewels, as that is what they wear in everyday life. These single stories are dangerous and limiting, clearly there is more to these women then the decorative outfits and the "restraints" they experience when it comes to marriage.

This single story can be limiting because it describes Indian women as submissive and with out agency. I lived in DC for a summer and worked with many Indian people, also my parents best friends are indian and I will say that I was very surprised by the "normal" lifestyles they all lived. The majority of the Indian people I knew did not have an arranged marriage. However, they did not look down on it. They said it is a part of their culture and some people still practice that but it is a part of their culture and is not abnormal or uncomfortable to them. I will say I did interact with one woman who did have an arranged marriage and was very unhappy but she explained that isn't always the case. She feels that it's just hard in the first year because you are married, and getting to know each other. Also the decorative appearance is mostly worn for special celebrations, especially weddings. 

All in all, the Indian culture is very different from the American culture but these single stories portray that difference as being bad. I feel that we need to look at cultures and appreciate the differences. Also, recognize that cultures are growing and progressing just as we are. Until we have experienced a culture first hand, it is absurd to make such rash generalizations about people, and in this case, Indian Women.



6 comments:

  1. My sister actually did a study abroad to India a few months ago. She mainly focused on the idea of female beauty in the culture. I was fascinated when she told me stories of very strong independent women in this part of the world, a story we rarely here in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who is Indian. She hates Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom with the fiery intensity of a thousand suns. The film reinforces the single story by portraying them as starving baby-snake and monkey-brains-eaters. It drives her nuts, not true at all (in case anyone was wondering).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like the rise in popularity of Bollywood movies (particularly ones made more recently) have contributed positively at least in my own mind and helping me get over my cultural stereotypes of Indian women. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my close friends are Indian and they don't feel suppressed.
    They are absolutely gorgeous, too. They definitely can marry anyone they want, as long as they pick another Indian, (and have their pick of the bunch!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say that indian's are not as suppressed as many think. The people have a rich culture and have ethics unlike anything you can find in the US. We only hear about how women are supressed and forced to wear certain garb. That is many of their own choice and culture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom went to an Indian wedding and it was beautiful. There was no arranged marriage, lots of love and family attended, and it was a beautiful ceremony.

    ReplyDelete