Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Mexican Men





I decided to look what media has to say about Mexican Men. I found it interesting that almost all things said of Mexican men were negative. This was definitely a case of "single story." As I researched many themes came up. To just mention a few: many said that Mexican men are creepy, they commit crimes, and that they are usually illegal immigrants. The three tweets I posted were all posted within an hour of when I searched "Mexican men" on twitter. These were just a few examples of the negativity posted about Mexican men. Almost all of the posts I saw were negative in tone, and I just chose a few to convey the message, of course not including those that were inappropriate.

What is usually conveyed about Mexican men is very limiting. If someone were to simply research Mexican males online, they would be led to believe that all they do is take part in both illegal acts and acts that are not viewed by society as acceptable. This can easily be seen in the third image, which is a Google News search of Mexican men. Of course, the news reports are misleading. While it can be argued that all that is reported in the news is negative, a search of other races showed articles that were both positive and non-partial to other ethnicities, while my search was almost entirely filled with crimes committed by Mexican men. This is very limiting of what Mexican culture and values are truly like. Many can attest that Mexican males are very caring, hardworking, and typically very religious. This is not really portrayed in media and thus a stereotype is formed.

My last image is of Guillermo Rodriguez, who is a co-host on Jimmy Kimmel Live. While Guillermo does rid society of some Mexican stereotypes, he reinforces others. Viewers of the late night show know that Guillermo loves to drink, he makes many edgy comments about women, and is often made fun of for his trouble with the English language. These traits are already associated with Mexican males and this pop culture image is no exception. To conclude, I'd like to say that Mexican men are grossly misrepresented in media. The negative stereotypes that are accepted by most of society are a product of being misinformed about such a special group of people.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting topic. I grew up in Southern California and heard a lot of these single stories to profile Mexican men. They definitely are misrepresented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same group without seeing that you did it, so I promise I didn't copy your idea!!!! I believe all that you said and am embarrassed at what our culture thinks of Mexican men. They are misrepresented and degraded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a lot of it comes from the political issues of the day. We hear a lot of stuff about illegal immigration, drug cartels, and similar crimes and readers just assume that the whole culture must be that way. Definitely misrepresented. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. its interesting to look past stereotypes, and see people who they are as an individual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I served my mission in northern Mexico. The men (and women) there are some of the nicest people I've ever met. This single story is perpetuated by the few who make bad decisions and therefore make ALL Mexican men look bad. It needs to be changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps one of the most dangerous stereotypes. Many will assume that any Mexican they meet is there illegally.

    ReplyDelete