Thursday, September 11, 2014

One of the many groups of people that I give a single story to are Goths. I think a lot of people give Goths a single story, because from our view they all look the same. When I see a Goth, my thoughts are in line with what Seth Meyers says in this video, that they “are working through stuff” and I am inclined not to approach them.


Seth Meyers dresses up like a Goth! Watch what he has to say about it. 


I don’t know the reasons that a person might become a Goth, but I think it is safe to assume that the reasons are not all the same. When we look at Goths, we usually think “that is a sad, strange little person, and they have my pity.” Surprise! That sad strange strange little person has or had a family, they have friends, they eat, drink, and dream!

This German paint store commercial sums it up pretty well.


4 comments:

  1. I am one of the many who believed this single story about goths throughout high school. I wish I would have taken the time to talk to "them". Personally, I felt nervous by those I didn't understand, as I think many of us do. I look forward to an opportunity to correct my behavior around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a group that I would always wonder, "why?" Why would they dress that way, why would one choose to be "goth?" I am guilty of thinking that goths are depressed, scary, and weird. However, I have come to learn that it doesn't matter why. If people are happy with who they are, who are we to judge? I admire those who are brave enough to stand out from the norm if it's something they are passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many people that I knew in High School were goths and they were some of the nicest people I knew, whereas those who dressed normally were some of the biggest jerks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was friends with a few goth people in high school. As much as I hated their make up, I was able to get passed it because they are actually very normal behind it all!

    ReplyDelete