Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Skateboarders

Growing up I thought skateboarders did drugs.  They were no good.  They caused trouble.  They weren't contributing to the real world.  That was the single story I was told.  All my older brothers played traditional sports and I was often told by them that skateboarding was stupid, bad, what druggies did.  While never actually skateboarding myself I held this stereotype.  Recently that was challenged when I began working with a passionate skateboarder who was none of the above.  It really made me evaluate how the activity of skateboarding has been depicted to me and how I have misjudged and stereotyped it.

Below are a couple of signs which show how skateboarders have been single storied.  They are being talked to as "dude" in a slangly tone as if it is assumed they wont understand or push limits.  In the other one it shows how skateboarders are simply annoyers pushing the limits and that is the benefit they are seeking.  These are dangerous because I feel it almost fuels the culture of it to push what they can do.  But images like this have led me to have a view of skateboarding as lesser intelectuals and an annoyance.

My last evidence is a series of comments on an article published by an angry man ranting at skateboarders like they are rapists or serial killers.  I really feel their are harsh assumptions towards this culture.  While I myself am not a skateboarder they definitely need the benefit of the doubt.  They aren't skating to annoy and push the limits.  It is an awesome sport that gives them the same active lifestyle and fulfillment that runners or other sports players enjoy but people don't think they can relate to.  That's how I was until recently and it has been really eye opening.

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-mags-media-and-news/322930-reputation-typical-stereotypes-skaters-please-read-important.html

2 comments:

  1. Skateboarders get a bad wrap but idols like Tony Hawk helped make it more mainstream and "cool". It's come a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pretty interesting stereotype. Normally, athletes don't get labeled as druggies. Is skateboarding a sport? Anyway, I have some friends who board and they're not rapists or serial killers.

    ReplyDelete