Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Orange County Single Story


Being from Orange County, people will usually assume a few things. First of all, people immediately conclude that you are white, rich, and beautiful. It is very likely your life could be made into an entertaining TV show. In reality, Orange County is full of every walk of life: poor, dorky, Latino, white, etc. Also, not everybody who is from Orange County lives on the beach. Sure, we're closer to the beach then we are here in Provo, but still, getting to the coaster can be harder than it sounds. Another connotation that Orange County seems to create is that of a spoiled stupidity. We are not all simple blond's in a two-piece bathing suit, flirting with nerds to do our homework for us. No offense to blond people, I know plenty of blond kids who are much more intelligent than I am. Nor is my mother a "Real Housewife," or whatever that is. Orange County is full of intelligent, cultured, and articulate people. Here are some examples of stereotypes that I found in the media: This is probably the best






5 comments:

  1. I get this too, especially the part about the beach! People assume I know how to surf and absolutely love getting spray tans and going shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever someone tells me that they are from southern california, I say "radical bro!" in a 'Californians' accent... I single story them like a boss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep yep! we do talk about the freeways like that though...haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. its funny to go back east and because i say "dude" frequently i get asked if I'm from California.

    ReplyDelete