Sunday, October 19, 2014

Typography Assignment - Voice of the Homeless


For this assignment, I decided to use the concept of homeless people not being heard, their stories unknown to the people that pass by them, that often people assume things about every homeless person without wanting to hear their full story.

I used a picture of a homeless man and then used a grungy version of the typewriter font to indicate distress. I also switch their positions from horizontal to diagonal lines at times to create this sense of confusion and conflict. I used different sized fonts throughout - highlighting in white, capitalizing, and using bigger point sizes for lines that I wanted to emphasize (such as "can't speak", "no one can hear me", and different parts that tell the story of different homeless people).

I used the black and white colors to blend in with the photograph, as well as to contrast what I wanted to emphasize. I placed all the type in front of the man's mouth, to indicate that his mouth is sealed/covered and he can't speak, as well as showing that this is his story and this is what he wants to say if somebody would listen to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment