Monday, October 20, 2014

Typography

I used a quote from Ferris Bueller for my "call to action" quote. It is basically saying that sometimes people need to slow it down a little bit and look around themselves at the beauty of life. Otherwise, they may miss it. I wanted to use a picture similar to this, but with one person standing in the center and looking at the camera, but this was the best I could find. I tried to get the picture to speak alongside the words. So, everything is moving fast around the girl, but she is in focus. If you stop and look, you will see her.

I focused on a few different facts for my text to create emphasis. One is the type of font that I used. I used a cursive font for the "normal" words because they have a sense of movement to them. They are slanted forward as if they are moving fast and not stopping. I then used a big, boxy font for my "key" words because it made them stand out. They contrasted with the "moving" text and they look like they are firm and standing still, which is the point of the quote.

Two, I used different colors of font to blend in some of the words and make other stand out. I chose to do a white font for the "normal" words because it blends in with the background, but not enough so it's illegible. When everything is moving fast, it is blurry and that was what I was trying to do with the white font. My "key" words were in red, again, to contrast the white. Also, when I think of red, I think of a stop light and the color means to stop. So, hopefully, when someone reads this, they will think to stop and look around. 

Third, the I played around with the size of the font. Mainly, I made the key words bigger so that theys stood out from the rest. These were the words that I really waned the reader to understand and retain. Setting them larger than the rest of the text would put focus on them and hopefully be more able to retain. 

Fourth, the placement of the words was done on purpose to bring focus to the image. I wanted to bring focus to the girl in the middle since she is the point of the quote. As a result, I placed the text around her so that, as the person is reading, they would look to her because of the negative space. The words frame her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment