Sunday, January 24, 2016

Photography Composition - Archibald



Subject/Background
     For this photo I wanted to separate my subject from the background because the colors are similar and the subject could be lost in the background. To do this I adjusted my aperture so that the background was outside of my depth of field leaving the mountain slightly out of focus. I also positioned the subject in front of the sun so that the light would create a separation. 

Edits: I brightened the shadows so that the subject would be visible (heavy back light turns everything black). I also played with color hues to add to the mood of the photo.


 Balance
       For this photo I wanted my composition to be balanced vertically and horizontally. The symmetry adds to the effect I was going for. There is also balance between the subject and white space. Both the subject and white space fill the frame so that no other elements can distract the eye.

Edits: I had to do some lens corrections to straighten out my lines and get rid of natural vignetting that usually is seen with wide-angle lenses. I cropped the image so that there weren't distracting elements. And I also played with color hues to give it a unique color palette. 


Perspective
Its pretty incredible the images you can capture just by looking straight up. I pointed my wide angle lens straight up and it really helped capture the feeling of how small we can feel while looking up at sky scrapers that on other days seem to disappear into the sky. It really wouldn't have the same effect taking a picture of these building from afar as a skyline, but this lets you feel like they are right on top of you.

Edits: I balanced shadows and highlights because I shot straight into the sun which can flush out the rest of the photo. I also brought the saturation down to give it a more grey look.


No comments:

Post a Comment