Thursday, October 24, 2013

Speak out.

Lately I have seen a few instances of people who have endured some form of abuse and have not said or done anything about it. It is really sad, but half the time these victims convince themselves that it is not a big deal, that they don't have any options, or even that it's their own fault. These are falsities that need to be addressed and not ignored.

In my design I have a few general demographics represented as stick figures, to keep it vague so it hopefully does not come off as stereotyping, and each of them has a word where there mouth should be. Having the type as their mouths symbolizes that these people generally keep silent about it as if something were covering their mouths, but that they should really open their mouths and help themselves, and others, to become free by speaking out.

The original idea I had was to have the words "break the silence" in the shape of lips on an open mouth and to have "speak out against abuse" coming out of the mouth. I thought that that would have made for a much more creative use of the type but, unfortunately, I don't have the tools or talent to execute half the ideas I have for this class.

1 comment: