Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Gestalt and Color

Each rectangle is placed in close proximity to the next, creating the illusion that each shape creates a bigger piece. The similarity of the colors and shape is an added element to making each piece a part of a whole, which is what gestalt is all about. Continuation can also be applied in that the viewers eye is drawn from one image to the next, the direction in which the viewers eyes are drawn is dependent on what color they see as the figure and ground. If the color white is seen as the figure, one might see a shape similar to a standard pyramid. If the color black is seen as the figure, the shape of an inverted pyramid may be seen.

   
The color scheme came from the regular Red, Green, Blue colors in Adobe Kuler. Although I like bright colors, I relate more subtle colors to happiness, so I added white to my hues to create a tint and came out with this color scheme. I decided to keep my background white because it allows the colors to standout as opposed to a colored background. 

I used circles because smooth lines rather than rough edges are shapes that are more befitting of a happy mood.  I wanted more of a free-flowing layout so I made my circles various sizes, placing them in an upward sloping position like a smile to further emphasize happiness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment