Saturday, January 9, 2016

DownTown Provo Adventures

 My trip to downtown Provo gave me a new excitement and love for my city. I've been depressed recently about the fact that I don't get to live somewhere interesting like New York or Chicago where creatively stimulating experiences that challenge my idea of the norm seem to lie around every corner.  I started my adventure by going into a side door next to a restaurant that I was familiar with. I was surprising to find a whole new and funky world of office spaces and a basement restaurant that I had no idea existed.


While leaving here I spotted a random set of buttons that I nearly overlooked. They were wonderfully old, and placed next to normal looking and locked door. When thought it might be for an an old broken elevator, but the button worked, the elevator clunked, and the door unlocked. It was the creepiest, oldest elevator I have ever been in, complete with wood paneling and a super creaky grate that opened and closed across the entrance. I was 99% certain I was going to be murdered when it opened, or plummet to my death. 




































I then ventured to cut through an back ally/parking garage area to get to the next street, rather than going my normal route on the sidewalks. I was spotted this fun graffitti on the back of Gurus, which added a personality to the restaurant that I wasn't aware of before.





Next we ventured into Taste, a classy looking place that I had never been in. Here we had a high-quality chocolate tasting of chocolates from Venezuela, Italy, France, etc. It was a surprisingly classy and exotic experience to have in Provo, Utah. 



















My last discovery was an antique shop next to Taste. The words "antique shop" should speak for themselves in terms of finding fun and interesting things. There were piles of fascinating objects to be wondered about. I plan to go back soon to get design inspiration. I came away from the day feeling like there were hundreds of more little nooks like this in Provo, and thankful that I live in a city just whose treasures require a little but of hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment