Wednesday, October 15, 2014

MM Gestalt and Dead Fish Color Theory


For this image I attempted to use both closure and continuation. I have always loved minimalist design so I was intrigued as to how much of Mickey Mouse's face I could simplify/reduce until he was unrecognizable. I still think you can tell who he is and he still retains his signature grin. Since I wasn't sure if it was obvious, I used continuation to show the viewer that it was indeed Mickey Mouse. It gave the picture an ease of resolution. It confirms what is meant to be seen. As I finished this piece I realized it looked somewhat akin to Andy Warhol's Marilyn Diptych


I have always loved deep greens and dark greenish blues. The combo has always drawn my eye. Obviously this color schemes hangs in the G and B sections of the RGB scale. The highest amount of red in any color did not exceed 100 points. There is really one dark green and then two different tints. The other two bluish colors are fairly close to each other, but one has more grey than the other making it a slightly duller tone. I find this combination very striking. The brightest green is a little too loud on its own, but when situated between darker more muted colors, it becomes less so. I really love monochromatic color schemes, but I knew I wanted something more unique that drew attention to the message. I hope I accomplished that here.

1 comment:

  1. I dig the color scheme of your inspirational poster. And the message is pretty easy to visualize.

    ReplyDelete