Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A call to action for gardeners

I got home from class today and took off my backpack--and found a ladybug crawling on it! I was irrationally excited about seeing a ladybug, so I picked it up right away and snapped a picture. Then I started playing with the picture and decided to use it in my assignment.

One problem: it's hard to issue a serious call to action about ladybugs. I found a cheesy poem about them on the Internet and added those words to my picture. You could use this image as a poster in a kindergarten class or maybe in a gardening store, but that's probably about it. The message is simple: don't hurt ladybugs. If you want to interpret the poem figuratively instead of literally, then you can learn that you shouldn't hurt anything or anyone who makes a positive impact.

Anyway, I manipulated the text font (using multiple fonts within one font family), the text color, the kerning, and the leading. And I changed the background to black and white (law of figure-ground, anyone?). This was a fun assignment!



1 comment: