Wednesday, October 16, 2013

BYU


The color scheme that I chose is one that is all too familiar to all of us: the BYU school colors. When I used Adobe Kuler to scan the photo, I found it interesting how it picked out the two tints of brown, navy blue, and then black (outlining some letters) and white. Omitting the black, I used all the colors in the following promotion for BYU Square Dancing:
What I found most interesting was how Kuler did not like the color arrangement. I went back and looked to see what colors it would suggest to go with both the navy blue and the lighter tan (on compound and triadic settings). To my surprise, it suggested a very dark shade of brown along with along with both a tint and shade of purple. When I tried the lighter tan hue, Kuler suggested it suggested two shades of gray (not fifty), light blue, and a horrendous looking yellowy-olive (if puke was a basic color, it would be a light tint of puke). 
The hues that were selected to represent BYU seemed to line up closest with the complementary colors (actually, it's not to far off). It's interesting how one setting can look very aesthetically pleasing while another makes your stomach churn, despite the fact that both patterns supposedly "work."

No comments:

Post a Comment