Thursday, October 17, 2013

To Whom It May Concern

Music is a huge part of my life, and I love to listen to and analyze song lyrics.  In recent years, I've developed the hobby and interest of making art out of song lyrics.  In fact, most of the doodles in my church notebook are song lyrics.  But since the medium I usually use for this kind of artwork is pen on paper, I thought it would be fun to try it on a computer for this assignment.

---

I started with a picture of my favorite band, The Civil Wars.  One of the many reasons I love their music is because it's particularly easy for me to emotionally connect to and find personal meaning in their song lyrics.

---

I uploaded this picture to Kuler and it came up with this color scheme.  I was really pleased with this color scheme, because I thought the blue and blue-grey in the first two boxes complemented the hints of orange in the tan and brown hues of the third and fourth boxes (blue and orange are complementary colors).  I also thought that the shade of black in the last box kind of smoothed out the color scheme because it balances the shaded hues of blue and brown with the toned blue-grey and tinted tanish-orange color.

---

This is what I came up with for my design.  These are some of my favorite lyrics from the Civil Wars' song, "To Whom It May Concern."  It's a song about missing and yearning to be with your soul-mate before you've met him or her.
In creating this design, I thought the blue-grey would work well for the background, and that the blue and black would work well on top for the lyrics.  Then I had the idea to make the tanish and brown colors into bricks surrounding the words to symbolize the unwanted separation between the soul-mates in the song.
I just used "Paint" (computer application) to create this, but I'm pleased with the final product.  I'll admit that I was a little intimidated when I started this assignment, but it turned out to be a very fun and interesting project.

1 comment: