Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Typography


I angled the headline to match the crease of the bent corner. The crease serves as a natural underline. The two words that jump out are "more dates" because of the larger size, boldness, and underline. The larger size automatically made a big vertical gap between the lines of type so I adjusted the leading. I wanted the two lines of the headline to be clearly connected to I brought them closer together.

I used a looser tracking for the word "MORE" in order to emphasize it to an even greater degree. "MORE" takes up more of the page in a literal sense.

My presentation of the word "secret" is also somewhat literal. I made the color match the newspaper so it blended in. I crossed out the word "secret" because the message delivered is -ironically-  not secret, rather common sense.

I wanted "ask more" to look as if someone had handwritten it. I wanted the viewer to understand that "ask more" was added later; that it was not part of the original message. The answer to a "huge mystery" was solved by an average guy with a red marker.

"Please" is separated from the real call to action. The separation indicates the appearance of asking the reader to do something, when the author is in fact telling the reader to do something.

"Don't complicate it" is placed in the bottom right corner. It is intended to be read last and to drive home the point. When you read, the bottom right corner is the last place you look and it has to stick with you as you turn the page.

I chose to deliver this message because since my marriage, all my guy friends somehow think that makes me the expert on getting girls. I tell them all the same thing. You can't expect to get married unless you date. You can't expect to date unless you ask. But how do I ask a girl out? Well, you walk up to them and say, "Would you like to go on a date with me?" And so I repeat myself: Don't complicate it...please.

1 comment:

  1. Cool. So it took me a while to figure out what this was saying. I couldn't find the word "secret" because of the color. Although, if this was the objective of the piece, it works really well.

    ReplyDelete