Saturday, January 9, 2016

Downtown Provo Discoveries






I have a roommate from Provo and he swears that it’s the best place you could ever live. I’ve never felt a strong connection to Provo so I don’t really pay much attention when he starts to ramble about his reasons explaining why it’s so great. As I strolled through downtown Provo earlier, I began to better understand my roommate’s attitude. This experience opened up my eyes to new scenery I wouldn’t have ever noticed otherwise. Instead of focusing on what was directly ahead of me or what was on my phone, I found myself slowing down and looking from side to side, up and down. You can’t help but feel a bit of pride for this city, trudging through the snow and sludge next to a giant fluorescent pink wall with the word “Provo” spelled out using a bicycle. There is bookstore whose entrance isn’t just encased in a giant painted mural of books but the entire counter in Pioneer Books is constructed out of old, worn-out books that probably weren’t getting a lot of use beforehand. There is a sense of history and time-gone-by in Provo’s downtown. In the days of Snapchat and Twitter, Tommy’s Burgers is still advertising with pieces of painted peeling plywood tacked on to a fence. I also witnessed people’s lives and homes all around me. I found an old tree-house that I’m sure once made for some very memorable childhood summers. I stumbled upon a home with all sorts of ornaments and clutter spread across their front yard. On top of the house there was a statue of a chicken; I’d like to know what the thinking behind putting a stone rooster right above their doorway was. Whatever it was, it adds to the unique, quirky atmosphere that is Provo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment