Thursday, March 8, 2018

Weekly Sketch #6 + Color


Earlier this week I visited the Crystal Palace in Madrid. It was a building made almost entirely out of glass and it was situated in the center of Buen Retiro Park.  As I stood inside, I was struck by how the glass walls reflected the sunlight and transformed my view of the park outside into a sparkling, mirage-like landscape.  Although the building itself had no pigment or color, the transparent glass enhanced and changed the colors of the park beyond the walls.  This sketch is my interpretation of gazing out at the park from within the glass walls of the Palace.  The glass ceiling of the Palace peaked in a way that reminded me of a glass prism used to refract light, which is why I chose a rainbow color pattern for my sketch. I also kept the rest of the sketch neutral (black, white, and gray) so it would enhance the other colors and not distract from them.  I avoided any dark shades of blue, purples, etc. because I wanted the walls and ceiling to maintain a sense of light and transparency rather than opaqueness or darkness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment