Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Nirvana (Struck Blind)


(Updated)

Even though, I'm an active Latter-Day Saint, I've always been fascinated with Buddhist beliefs, particularly as it contrasts our doctrines of the Afterlife.

The concept of Nirvana is summarized as "the extinguishing of one's internal flame." It is effectively the opposite of our ultimate goal of Exaltation, summarized in part by "light adding upon light." 

As I sit and meditate– usually along the vipassana tradition– I contemplate our meaning, existentially and question, "which is right?"  John Stuart Mill said it is good to consider opposing arguments as it solidifies your own opinion. 

In some ways, both Buddhists and Mormons believe in a pattern of rebirth. But for the Latter-Day Saint, it is not cyclical. It is linear. 

In titling this Nirvana, I intend to draw on the idea of extinguishing one's own inner light. But, there is meaning in the order and direction of the flame, beyond the scope of– or perhaps in opposition to– that very phenomenon of the Buddhist faith. 


(Previous Photo)


2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite picture on the blog. It's a great photo but also it causes me to think of progression due to the focal point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I couldn't stop looking at. I couldn't figure out how they made it match the lines so well.

    ReplyDelete