Tuesday, June 21, 2016

perception activity- Morgan (Puzey) Van Matre

I really enjoyed this assignment. My husband and I were even able to make a date night out of it. I'd been to Center Street many times before, and I've noticed some unique things those times as well. This assignment was nice because it required me to find lots of quirky details as we walked down the street. I saw statues that I'd never noticed before, saw many creative store fronts, and smelled a lot of good food.
My first picture is of Mickey Mouse. We found it in a dirty display window for a store that seemed to be selling Provo souvenirs. It was funny to see Mickey placed among a plentiful scattering of Provo exclusives. (and to see how much Provo memorabilia is actually in existence) This photo also almost shows which hand the Statue of Liberty holds her torch in.
My second photo is of a statue of a female doctor. I couldn't believe that I hadn't happened upon the statue before on one of my Center Street visits. While doing this assignment, the statue seemed so obvious and easy to notice. I must usually go to Center Street when it's darker outside. Or maybe I'm less observant than I'd like to be. Either way, this assignment taught me to perceive more, even if I need to start with obvious statues.
My third picture is of a word on a building. I found this interesting. The building said "Excelsior" and that it was built in 1890. I looked it up online later and found that it used to hold a pharmacy and dentist on the ground floors. I also saw that the building is sometimes referred to as the old "Excelsior Hotel." It's interesting to see that it now houses Bruges Waffles and Fries. It was cool to think that people have been noticing that same word on that same building since the end of the 19th century.
My fourth picture is a sign that reads "kissing point." I thought it was a sweet idea. I'm also glad it didn't say NCMO point.
My last photo is of a pizza man statue. This differs from my previous statue picture because it has a sign saying that it was made by chainsaw artist. I learned about a new art form today. I cannot even imagine being comfortable enough with a chainsaw to cut down a tree, let alone create a statue.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment