Friday, December 9, 2011

The melding of two cultures. . .

    My opinion on the matter might be a little biased to say the least. Being a lover of books and complete bibliophile since I was little the thought of reading as a dying race is the sound of nails on a chalkboard to my very conscious. To me reading is a living breathing thing that will continue to stand the test of time no matter what form it takes.

But I digress, enough of my soap box and woe is me.
 
 There is no doubt the way we receive information has changed dramatically over the years. But it doesn't necessarily mean that the reading and visual cultures are changing in the opposite direction. If anything I feel they are both enhancing and molding each others' audiences into one that values both.

I feel the advances in technology and images they display such as the nook, kindle fire, and ipad appeal greatly to both audiences, and in fact encourage this seamless melding of cultures. I know the new e-readers are enticing a new audience, one that is more visual, one that never before gave the old fashion paper reading a second thought. In turn the new advances and visual communication the ipad and iphone are displaying now are enticing a new crowd as well.

So when it comes down to it, do I think one culture is thriving and advancing while the other isn't? No, I feel the way we process and take in both cultures, visual and written are changing, but not in necessarily a bad way. I think more and more we're seeing both cultures as one.

No comments:

Post a Comment