Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Our visual society benefits reading

I think that the visual nature of our culture hasn't necessarily destroyed the notion of reading, but it has definitely changed it. I think that reading will always be there, but it has a new meaning now. Back before computers, books were the only source of reading and visual material. Nowadays, reading involves the text, the images, and often videos or other links connected to the reading. I think that our visual culture has helped to expand the concept of reading. It has allowed us to make more connections between what we read and things around us. It has given us a full "experience." Reading is no longer something that you do passively, but it is active. People are more interactive with reading because of the highly visual nature of it.


I do think that reading may have lost some of its meaning in our visual culture. I think that the only downside to such a visual culture is that people are likely not thinking as critically about what they read. Because there is so much going on in a book or online when you read, it can distract from the simplistic nature that was intended with reading. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing, it is just different. But different times bring different meaning to things, and I think we all have to learn to adjust to it and embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment