Thursday, December 8, 2011

Visual vs. Reading

I think that that this is very true. We've all known or been that book worm who secludes themselves from everyone because they can't bear to put down their book. I believe that people that are better readers are generally very intelligent people, are above average test takers, and understand a lot when it comes to spelling/grammar. Reading text is becoming lost, especially as a leisure activity. Since everything has been becoming more and more visual I can see in myself that I sometimes get lazy when I have to read something, especially if it is something that I'm not reading by choice. As a society we have become lazy and are always looking for the quickest and easiest way of doing things. Reading a book, article, etc. to find something out often takes more time than some people are willing to invest so they look for alternate ways to find the answer they are looking for (i.e. a quick google search, pink monkey notes, asking siri questions on your iphone, gps vs. looking at a map, etc.).

I have always been a visual learner so as I child I definitely took reading for granted. Through time i have developed a love for reading, and can see the importance of it in an individuals learning. I know that is something that I sometimes have to force myself to do at times, because unless I have absolutely nothing going on at the time I don't feel like I have time to sit down and just read for fun.

Reading requires patience, attention, and dedication. I think that the kids of the future will have a hard time learning some of these elements. It will cause them to either learn these valuable lesson in some other way or just not learn them at all.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you've said. BUT, I wouldn't call it laziness. Do you feel as though innovation is just as big of a part? I love to read , and get lost in a book like you mentioned, however, maybe reading isn't the best way for kids of the future or any generation to learn. Perhaps by not reading and learning these life lessons in a different fashion, kids are being more innovative, and less lazy. Maybe reading books all these years has slowed the evolution of technology.
    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete