Monday, May 19, 2014

Semiotics - Charging Bull

When I first saw this photo, having never heard of or seen it before, I immediately thought of Chicago for two reasons. First, I thought it might be a statue outside United Center where the Chicago Bulls play. I had also heard a little about CowParade - a public art event which originated in Chicago where people paint sculptures of cows around the city - so I thought it might have been leftover from that event. Obviously, after learning that the bull is actually on Wall Street, I began to have very different ideas about what it might signify.

First of all, I was struck by the size of the sculpture. In comparison to the cars and people in the pictures, that bull is massive! Secondly, I was drawn to the active position of the bull. It's clearly caught in a state of motion, hunched down, head lowered, ready to charge with its powerful hind legs. This shows us that Wall Street is always ready to move and trample anyone or anything that stands in its way. Finally, I tried to think of another animal that better represents brute strength and aggression, but I couldn't come up with anything that embodies those two qualities as well as a bull. I imagine those who make a living on Wall Street are proud to have this huge, strong, powerful beast for a mascot.

No comments:

Post a Comment