Monday, May 19, 2014

Semiotics - Jonny Harline


This is one of my favorite pictures I have ever seen. It brings back so many memories of good times in BYU football, which have been few and far between in the nearly eight years since. However, in the hundreds of times I've seen this photo, I had never really analyzed the semiotics of it until now.

Even if I had no knowledge of the background of this picture, it's easy to see that Harline and his teammates are celebrating a touchdown at the very least. You can see five white-clad players in various stages of celebration - two with arms raised, two taking off their helmets and falling to the ground, and one seemingly jumping up and down. I think it's interesting that the main subject of the photo has his back to us, although with his helmet on it would be difficult to see any facial expression even if he turned around. There is only one opposing player in the picture, which makes me think, who was supposed to be covering Harline? I also love that the photographer took the picture from an angle that would show Utah's sideline rather than BYU's. While this photo is not political or racial or of any real importance to the world, it's still loaded with semiotics....and very important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment