Monday, May 20, 2019

Blog Post #3

Video game development is fascinating to me. It's a highly unique mixture of technology and art that's so undervalued yet so impressive. I'm a huge fan of the latest God of War game that came out in 2018. I recently watched a documentary that chronicled the making of the game, and I feel that it's incredibly insightful concerning the creative process. The game was groundbreaking in the sense that game director Cory Barlog took the franchise in an entirely new direction, basically reimagining the titular hero in a way that many were skeptical of at first. The documentary highlights some of the struggles that they went through in making the game. Corporate pressure, creative differences and technical issues are shown in a manner that really drives home the struggle it takes to create something new. Above all, I feel that the documentary really helped me gain a newfound appreciation for the importance of staying true to your vision. Barlog stayed true to his unique, radically different vision for God of War and even though he was unsure whether or not gamers would appreciate it, he made that the core of his project. He talked about how this was important for the success of the game. "Games that are boring and repetitive are because you don't feel the why. You don't feel connected to the world."

In my budding career and school efforts, I feel that it's important for me to stay true to my creative visions and my goals so that I can succeed while also staying true to myself and being authentic with my work.
Here's the link to the documentary, which is completely free on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJZWKBDXXFY

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you really love video games. Did not have time to watch this for the whole two hours, but I did dabble into it and there are a few things I thought were cool. It is so interesting how you need to build a team in order to build great things. Games are the new cinema. Meaning, it's the interactive story that people crave. I thought it was also interesting to learn a bit about hte personal lives of the people who made this game.

    ReplyDelete