Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Creative Assignment #5 - Do What You Can't

As I mentioned in class the other day when we talked about our projects, one of my biggest struggles is that I'm afraid to try anything I don't believe I will be good at. And it really sucks! There are so many things I want to try, but I feel deep down that I'll never actually be able to do it, so I come up with reasons to never try.

So, what I'm fighting for is for myself. I'm fighting for confidence in myself to believe that it's okay to try something and fail. It's okay if you don't have all the answers or skills at first. That's why for my personal motto I've adopted the phrase "Do what you can't". I first heard this phrase from famous YouTuber Casey Neistat who really lives this motto. I want to just do things that I think I can't do!

That's why for this project I made a small sign out of cardboard and put it up in my office with that phrase on it. Funny thing is, while I was thinking about this project, I had thoughts come in my mind about what it had to be. I thought "I have to put this sign on some fancy metal and have it all measured out so it looks nice and on and on and on..." I even thought, "I'm no designer, I can't make something that looks nice and put it up on the blog". All these stupid thoughts that explain perfectly why I need a motto like this in my life. That's why I decided just to do it. Just to make it out of simple materials and a simple process--just cardboard and sharpie.

And guess what? It's more meaningful to me than if I had tried to do something super complex.

Do what you can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment