Monday, May 6, 2019

Anis Mojgani : Rock Out




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE3hpGpLr9w

This Poem by Anis Mojgani is nothing but energy. The consistent line he says is "rock out like..."

Here are some lines. "Rock out like you never have to open a textbook again" Rock out like it's Saturday afternoon and Monday was a national holiday. "Rock out like you are enslaved in the south and dancing is all that you know to know who you are." These lines just resonant with me so much. They communicate such normal life experiences, but are also incredibly deep to history and cultural references of Anis's life. "Rock out like you just took a drive with your dead brought back grandfather in your brand new car." "Rock out like the mangoes are in season" Rock out like the record player won't skip" I love how random and visually detailed oriented everything in this poem is. This system of using words is very free and easily imitated which may be why I love it so much. It has inspired me to write my own poetry.

3 comments:

  1. I think poetry is so cool. For me it feels like the perfect marriage of art and copy. The repetition in this poem is beautiful, and I love how relatable the statements are. Everything he said I could predict exactly how I would feel if that was actually about to happen to me (like the feeling of never having to open a textbook again).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry is incredible. We live in such a visual world, but there is some untouched power in the written word. The imagery we create from that is some of the most imaginative, deep, and authentic responses to art that can be found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this poem because of the images and comparisons that it makes. They are not ordinary, but they are also not too far out there. I think it makes this poem relate-able. For me, poetry can get too frilly and it makes it hard to understand but lines like "rock out when mangoes are in season" allow me to actually visualize what I think the author wants to have me see.

    ReplyDelete