Sunday, May 5, 2019

Needing/Getting

A friend showed me this music video a while ago and honestly I think about it probably more than I should. I don’t listen to OK Go’s music often, and I’ve only seen parts of their other music videos, yet I’ve seen this music video countless times. For me, this video is a great example of limitless creativity. The idea of attaching random objects to a car, and then driving through a course of perfectly placed musical instruments, with the intent of creating the background track for a song is wild, far-fetched, and unrealistic…but they did it anyways. 

About this video OK Go says, “[We] set up over 1000 instruments over two miles of desert outside Los Angeles. A Chevy Sonic was outfitted with retractable pneumatic arms designed to play the instruments, and the band recorded this version of Needing/Getting, singing as they played the instrument array with the car. The video took 4 months of preparation and 4 days of shooting and recording. There are no ringers or stand-ins; Damian took stunt driving lessons. Each piano had the lowest octaves tuned to the same note so that they'd play the right note no matter where they were struck. Many thanks to Chevy for believing in and supporting such an insane and ambitious project, and to Gretsch for providing the guitars and amps.” 


In regards to creativity, it is easy to, especially as college students, cut creative corners via the excuses of lack of budget (balling on a $10/hour salary), lack of experience, or even lack of time. I think we're just really good at making excuses because we're afraid we're going to fall short of our own expectations. In reality, couldn't these obstacles be seen as just another thing that needs a creative solution? This video reminds me that the only limitations our creativity has are the ones that we impose on it. Seeing the way this wild, far-fetched, and unrealistic idea was executed makes me want to get out of my own way and explore the various ways I can push my creativity. 


6 comments:

  1. They are so rad, pure creative geniuses

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK GO are pioneers for innovative music videos. I remember seeing this video 8 or so years ago and loving the music video's rendition more than the actual song itself. The complexity that was required to pull off such a stunt and the details that had to be considered bewilder me. Truly, it is a feat yet to be topped in terms of creative music videos (HUMBLE included).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! OK GO are such inspirations for seeing creativity in the mundane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK soooo cool. This is like incredible childhood creativity brought to life with adult time and money and it's amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a pure form of being able to not let a the "box" of what a music video can be define how they wanted to create. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhhhhh myyy gosh. This was incredible. I can't believe they actually pulled this off. The idea is so out there. Who knew you could pull two talents together like that. Man, I do not even know how much this cost, I don't think I want to know. What this proves is that a good idea can always trump the cost. This situation is ridiculous haha. I would never be able to imagine myself coming up with this insane of an idea. This is like a redbull ad.

    ReplyDelete