Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Blog Post 4

I was online a couple days ago and I went down a rabbit hole about learning how to draw. I never progressed from the simple stick figures I learned in kindergarten. I want to teach myself but I am afraid of not being good enough. I think this fear is the reason I have not tried sooner. In light of everything we have gone over in this class, I decided it was time to put that fear aside and try just to see what happens. During my search, I kept finding article after article that were all about taking a long period of time and repeating the skill to make it better. I found some though, where the challenge seemed to work better because there was a little more incentive.
One of my favorite articles I found was called 40 Days of Moments. This is a travel writer who gave up her camera for Lent. She still needed to capture what she was writing about so she went back to her roots. She used to do a lot of illustrating so she decided to draw the moments she was trying to capture. In the end she found that through drawing, her skills improved a ton, but what she was more impressed with was remembering the places she had visited a lot better. There was something about drawing the moments that helped ingrain them in her brain even more. She later expanded this challenge to all her followers and had them draw their moments for a month and submit them to her. She wanted people to follow along not to improve their skills (a happy side effect of the project) but to enjoy and remember moments better of their lives better.
I decided that this challenge was what I was going to try and follow, taking a moment each day that I would normally take a picture of and capture it through drawing instead. Today is day 1 of 40 and I will update you all frequently and I guess we will see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Wow this was super cool. Drawing is such a handy way of communicating in a way words sometimes cannot capture. As a copywriter I've always put the quest to learn how to draw on a shelf. I think you just inspired me to learn how to draw this summer!

    ReplyDelete