Sunday, May 5, 2019

The Purpose of Repurposing

At the beginning of the year, Netflix released an original series, starring Marie Kondo, focused solely on how to declutter and organize our surroundings. Kondo lives by and evangelizes a mantra to her viewers which states: "If it does not spark joy, throw it out." Family Guy recently did an episode which parodies this blunt philosophy, where the mother throws almost everything out (including her family) for the sake of "sparking joy". After a metaphorical epiphany that junk does serve a purpose in her life, she restores everything in her life back to how it once was. 

Besides the humor behind such an extremely irrational mindset, the show sheds a light on an important concept: almost all of our junk serves either a practical or personal purpose. Though a minimalist lifestyle may seem enticing, it lacks personality. Each item we own becomes a part of who we are and what we represent. They can serve as mementos of the past, tools for the present, and stepping stones for the future. It is true that, over time, material possessions can deteriorate in condition. This is not to say they lose meaning, but that they, much like living things, have a lifespan. 

In the event that something does wear down to its wires, there is still hope for continuing its utility. If we are innovative enough, we can find ways to take the materials of our "junk" and make them into something wonderful and new. One way I found to repurpose an old handmade shirt I couldn't part with was to cut out the design and make it into a throw pillow that I could use on my couch. It now serves a new purpose, while still preserving sentimental value. 

This is to not say we should hoard everything we bring into our lives. It is to say that we can use creativity to maintain our current possessions instead of infinitely cycling through a process of buying, using, and throwing away. 

5 comments:

  1. woah. my childhood possession is a favorite polo shirt and now I want to turn it into a pillow or dog shirt or something too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have saved every little slip of paper that has come in my contact for years and years. Even an old receipt that a bath bomb had leaked onto and made a cool design. haha I have it hanging on my wall. Call me crazy but these things I love because each has a little story. Although I might have way too many boxes filled with little moments, it's important for me to remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the thought that our personalities are shown in the things we mindlessly collect. My family always talks about how much you can tell from someone just by the hand soap they have in their bathroom hahaha. So if we're all at someone's house we'll make jokes and assumptions on it. Alsooo I've always thought minimalism was kind of weird and I think that's why! Personality is expressed sooo much in what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely someone that attaches memories to things. I still have all the corsages from my high school dances, I keep ticket stubs, even ratty shoes are hard for me to throw away. It drives almost everyone around me crazy, but when I throw things away I can't help but feel like I'm throwing away a memory. I like your idea of using old, loved objects in new ways. Maybe I'll try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deep stuff. Especially after my wife did a whole Marie-Kondo-Karate-chop to our closet a few months back. It was good to get rid of stuff we clearly didn't need. But it also opened my eyes a bit. In life, nothing is permanent. Everything we own decays or breaks and uses out its lifespan. We do our best to recycle and repurpose but some things simply aren't of use anymore after time. It is the nature of the world we live in and it's somewhat peaceful knowing that. Circle of life I guess.

    ReplyDelete