Sunday, January 21, 2018

Creativity 2

For my assignment I chose to wander around aimlessly. Just typing this sentence made me laugh in Irony. I enjoyed this overall experience as I chose to wander around aimlessly in Madrid. I actually did this before seeing that it was an assignment and I am glad I did as a usually have to work harder to enjoy something when I am being told to do it. My experience did however differ from the instructed task in one major way and it was that I payed attention to every little detail rather than none at all. Doing this required no special effort but I believe I am all the better off for it because in paying attention to the details I was able to observe local Casanovas flirt with their female companions in exuberant and public demonstrations, watch as a Spanish man and his presumed daughter danced down Plaza de Oriente as an old man played Ave Maria on the Clarinet, and see couples in their old age find a place to rest in the patches of light within the grassy park near Templo de Debod. For me it was in the details that made this wandering so wonderful. Although my mind was constantly interacting with my environment I believe there was more than enough room for creative thought to run rampart as I believe was the purpose of this exercise. In seeing the old couple lie down for a nap in the grass I tried to imagine as realistically as possible what my life would be like when I was 65 and what I would most likely be doing at that time 47 years down the road. When I saw the dad and his daughter dancing I thought about names for my future children and what being a father would mean for me. And when I saw what must have been the most beautiful Spanish girl in all of Madrid, I wondered if perhaps I should write a short story about a helplessly romantic young man who fell in love with everything he saw, as that was exactly how all of these monumental details made me feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment