Friday, January 19, 2018

NEW PERCEPTION-- Plaza de Cervantes



    






Although the assignment was originally based in Provo, a place I've called home for six months, I am now in a city that is almost completely foreign. For that reason, everything in Alcala is new to me. I wanted to seek beyond what we would find obviously interesting, and resulted in finding obviously interesting things for reasons not so obvious. The first picture is actually what I found last. I was walking in search for a fifth picture and had completely blanked. Once I stopped forcing my mind to search for something "interesting," I found it; the entire plaza is grounded with squares, but twenty or so feet in, two triangles meet to maintain the pattern. Why triangles there instead of a square? In the second photo, there is a beautiful gazebo, but if you look closely, you will find a piece of paper on the door telling us of the public restroom that exists there. "JESUS NACE PARA TODOS;" Jesus is born for all. Outside of the church on the corner, I found this star on the ground surrounded by several more. Perhaps they were placed by children, happy as they came out of church, reminded that they are loved by the Savior of the world. Although the fourth picture may seem obvious to most people as they pass by, I honestly don't think I would have noticed it if I had not been on the search. At times, I allow my mind to block things out. It looks like the construction is there to maximize the support of the building. It is a temporary fix, but I'm curious to see how they are going to fix it for long term use. Without the help of the wood and metal, major destruction could occur. Lastly, my eye caught a glimpse of the bus station. I've now ridden the bus more than once and with just a little observance, noticed the plant or nest, some form of creation. If it is a plant, how did it start? If it is a nest, why did the bird choose such a busy spot? Although I may never know, I'm grateful for the discoveries I've made in this place I now call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment