Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Nickelodeon

Special thanks to my roommate Becky for modeling. She makes the turn of the century look good.







For this project, I wanted to tell a story about doing something commonplace, like going to the movies. However, I wanted to capture what that looked like almost 100 years ago. In this story, the girl is sitting at home bored when she realizes that she has enough money to go to a movie. She goes to the theater, pays for her ticket, buys a snack, and takes her seat. A simple story, but it's interesting to compare her movie experience to a typical movie experience today.

Today, everyone gets excited to go to movies at midnight or to see a favorite actor or actress in a new movie. Back then, it was much less elaborate - there was no sound, no color, no 3-D, no movie soundtrack. We have come a long way since then, and I'm grateful for that. But at the same time, hinking about the way it used to be almost makes me nostalgic for an era I never even experienced.

7 comments:

  1. I wish movie tickets cost like 5 nickels. Yeah. That would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun concept! I also like the grayscale in the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the coloring of the photos. It really set the mood and the theme

    ReplyDelete
  4. As has already been mentioned, the black and white photos really puts the viewer back in the "old days" when they had nickelodeons. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still do this on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that these photos are in black and white because it goes perfectly with the story and the outfit; the lighting is good also. This looks like a 50's movie.

    ReplyDelete