Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Photos of Photographers

As I struggled over what topic to shoot for this assignment I came up with the idea that maybe I could follow other photographers.  But instead of highlighting portrait photography I decided to follow a couple of landscape photographers. 

I followed Eric and Alex about an hour outside of St. George as they went on a planned journey to capture an overlook at dusk.  I tried to capture the overlook and the vista that they were trying to take pictures of.  It was interesting seeing them work so close together yet concentrate on entirely different shots from different angles. 

I used the rule of thirds as well as keeping a very open depth of field to try to portray the grandeur of the landscape that they were trying to capture.  I also tried to portray the concentration and patience that it takes for them to try to get the very best shot that they can get with the proper lighting, settings, etc.  

Overall this was a very fun experience and I enjoyed the chance to follow these two with all their years of experience with photography.  Even though shooting landscape photography is different than photojournalism, it still has the same principles running through it.  I learned a lot about composition as they made sure they had something in the foreground to give the picture depth, and just how important lighting is and how you can use it to your benefit.  I also learned about the benefits of using different shutter speeds.  It was a great chance to learn about photography as well as capturing what it is like to be a landscape photographer.



No comments:

Post a Comment