Thursday, November 14, 2013

Living With Trichotillomania

Trichotillomania is a disorder many people are unaware of. But for people like  me who struggle with it, it's constantly at the forefront of our minds. Trichotillomania is a disorder where people compulsively pull their hair out, strand by strand. Sometimes they'll then break the strands into small pieces. For some people, it is such a severe problem, they result to shaving their heads because they have pulled out enough hair to the point where they're nearly bald. My Trich started when I was 12, but it is mainly under control now. However, I still must be diligent about avoiding pulling daily in order to keep my Trich from spinning out of control again.




It's not uncommon for me to find broken strands of my hair in random places. Seeing hair in unusual places grosses a lot of people out. But for people with Trich, the pulled strands end up everywhere.


Inspecting a site I usually pull from (behind my hairs). When I was a young teenager, Trich caused me to develop a few bald spots. I'm happy to see there's no permanent damage 


Trich is triggered by stress. Stress and anxiety bring my hands to my hair.


I've made a conscious effort to resist for the past few years--and I've mostly succeeded! 

1 comment: