Saturday, June 27, 2015

An Untold Story

Down town Provo is full of history and creativity. As I wandered down Center Street, I found that what I really didn't know was the stories behind these shops and people that I pass by every day. Some stories were right in front of me and others I had to go a bit deeper...literally. I found some true beauty here in Provo but I think what truly made these things inspiringly beautiful, were the untold stories.
First adventure was to Foxglove flowers and gifts. I walked in not sure of what to expect. Turns out this building was the oldest one on Center street and started as a market where locals would come and  bring their goods. It later turned into a smoke shop, a thrift store, and a variety of other things. When Foxglove took it over, the floor was covered in tile. They ripped up the tile to reveal the original flooring. It is beautiful!

Next was Modern Shoe. Meet Jacob. He is a shoe maker. This store was first a shoe repair shop in 1895 and became Modern Shoe in 1940. Jacob took me into the depths of downtown Provo in a cellar that you climb into from the floor behind the checkout counter. It smelled of moist dirt and rubber soles. He also showed me some shoe polishers in the back that have been there from the time the shop opened in 1895. Talk about vintage beauty!



Something I found out about Provo is that it is full of people pursing their dreams. This is Beckafer. She does portraits. She only took one art class in 8th grade and then quit because she was afraid she wasn't good enough. She convinced herself that she could do this and started offering to do portraits to the public. 




One of my favorite things about downtown Provo is all the chalk work. Just while passing by one of my favorite restaurants, I saw this message. We live in one unique place. And yes, I did tell someone I loved them after I saw this.

All in all, this experience was quite inspirational for me. It made me realize how much creativity and beauty is all around me. Not just visually, but through the people I meet, the stories I hear, and the experiences I have when I take a simple message to heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment