Monday, June 29, 2015

Perception


Give some love, take some love.


Someone must have taken a lot of time to carve out the “provo” font on the blue railing. Why did they choose blue? Why does my mind instinctively read the negative space of “provo” rather than focusing on the blue design that surrounds it?



Who named the bike brand “Electra”? What does “electra” mean to them? How long did it take to engineer that bike? What event/person inspired the creation of that bike/company?


As for the jingle bells, well, I love this one. The jingle bells are tied around the neck of a horse statue. And yet, it was not the horse’s face or design that captured me, but these little bells! Why? Maybe they remind me of childhood Christmas jingles? Maybe because I can hear the faint sound of their jingle in my head? How were they created? What do they represent?


Why did the artist take the time to create these horses? What was the significance or importance of them?


This guy is just cool.


What is the story behind the girl statue? What is she pondering about? Why did the artist choose to close her eyes? What lead the artist to create the statue?


Alma teaches us “by small and simple things are great things brought to pass” (Alma 37:6).  I took the time to notice the small and simple beauties in the world around me. It was a small and simple task. Yet, great moments of meditation can come from a task so small. I loved learning how this basic assignment could turn into a spiritual experience for me! As I look back at these pictures, I am now taking the time to carefully study the objects.

Just like how we learn so much more from the scriptures when we ponder them, we can learn so much more about life and people and this beautiful world when we simply take the time to ponder certain details that we never notice in our daily routine. There is power in observation. There is power in pondering. They lend themselves to learning. As that learning grows, our curiosity is sparked and we then crave more information and more stories behind the things we learn. This process inspires creativity! In fact, there is creativity within the process itself!
Pretty nifty.

No comments:

Post a Comment