Monday, June 29, 2015










Walking through Provo was an interesting thought provoking experience. I began on center street and tried my best to see my local world with new eyes. I was surprised at first to realize I had never paid attention at all to the large statue outside of the nu skin building. With children holding hands around the world- it reminded me of how I want to live my summer- with a child like joy and eagerness for discovering the world around me. It helped me see how we often overlook what is obvious and common place. 
Next I found a small eating area between two buildings- an urban kitchen I thought to myself- turns out it was an outdoor seating area for sensuous sandwich restaurant. The coolest part of my discovery was somewhat strategic- I went into one of the main buildings below an upper office room where I had once done an internship and found some local Provo items such as a detailed non geographical map of Provos subdivisions and a rocking horse. The rocking horse to me brought back memories of one of the greatest Christmas presents I had received and all the joy that came with it. No one was around and I was tempted to take a ride myself in the empty restaurant. But the discovery definitely helped me realize that all around us are memories of the people we have been and the things that have formed our view of the world. Lastly I found flowers outside a hotel on a side street I had never been down. It reminded me of an urban beautification project I saw in the city of Pittsburgh just a few weeks ago that sponsored the creation of local gardens that helped establish a community identity.
Lastly was a map of Provo that highlighted neighborhoods over streets and specific locations. I thought this was a good local perspective on how we view this local world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment