Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Evolution of the Leading Man


I knew right away when I started this project, that I wanted to do something with film. I chose the backdrop not only because it was a film set, the ratio of the proportions were 16:9-- The same as standard film.

The image is very busy. In total there are 14 people inside the frame. I split the image into thirds when deciding where to place my subjects. In the top left intersection, I placed the most important words in the text: "Leading Man'-- I also Capitalized both words to let them stand out just a tiny bit more. I chose to leave the text white because it showed up best against the dark wall, and felt most appropriate, as it was placed next to the only 2 black and white actors (Carry Grant and Jimmy Stewart). The text slides down from left to right to parallel the wall, but also to insinuate the digression of the quality of leading men thru the years.

I wanted my image to mirror the famous picture of "The Evolution of Man," but that picture has become so cliche and used so many times, I needed mine to feel a little different. Blending my actors with the film crew helped destroy that gradual digression and brought more balance to my image.

There is a natural digression of the placement of the actors based on time, but there are a few exceptions.

Carry Grant and Jimmy Stewart:

Are in the back because they are the oldest. They are noticeably taller than the others, suggesting that they have lived up to a higher and more dignified standard than the leading men thus far have.

John Travolta:

Holds the place of bridging the classic to the classless. While is neither fish nor fowl, he does burn his candle a bit closer to the likes of Steward and Grant, though there is a significant and noticeable slump between the two.

Mel Gibson:

Takes a back seat to the rest, as he has obviously become old news. No one seems to really care or like him anymore. He is also the 1st of the actors to sink below the filmmakers themselves (or that powers that be).

Tom Cruz:

Had to be jumping somewhere on the couch. I dwarfed his image to poking fun at both his high, but also to insinuate his childish maturity.

Jack Nicholson:

Breaks the gradual digression. Jack seems to be unaware that the 70's have left without him. While he may think he is still "Mr. Hollywood"-- with his front row Laker game appearances and dark shaded Oscar night semantics (only adding to his buffoonery) he is disillusioned to reality. What I want to know is who's the dummy keeps inviting this guy?

Mathew McConaughey:

Sits at the bottom of this digression. He is also the closest to the camera. He is the epitome of vanity in Hollywood. In his (undeserved) Oscar speech, he was happy to inform us all that his hero in life was none other than himself. If that isn't the sign of a thru and thru narcissist, then I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment