Thursday, October 30, 2014

Composition -- (Photographs)

BALANCE
In this picture, I was trying for balance. I thought that a silhouette of Brother Brigham would be the most interesting. I think with the sun behind him, it made him look a little more angelic and prominent in the picture. The building behind him was meant to balance him out. The small little steeple on the for left side of the page I felt brought a little more balance to his dominate figure.   

 SUBJECT/BACKGROUND
While I was trying to come up with something interesting to shoot, my roommate sat on the couch, studying for his chemistry mid-term. As he was studying, he made some comment about wanting to stab himself in the face, and that's where I got the idea for this one. I thought that having him point a gun to his head while reading his chemistry text book would get the message across and be a little less graphic. I also thought that because it was a darker theme, switching my iPhone to Noir mode would be the most appropriate. And while I was in noir, I figured I might as well go Dutch on the angle as well. I think Mike, the gun and the Chemistry book are quite obviously the subject of the photograph, while the air unit, the cable and the door remain background elements that add to the shot, but don't draw attention to themselves.

 POV

This one simply came when washing my hands. For some reason I thought, I wonder what life looks like as a drain. So I put the camera in the sink and took a picture. I wasn't expecting the image to be upside down when I took it (it just kind of turned out that way)-- but I think that it ads to the perspective to the drain. Maybe the drain does see me upside down.   

No comments:

Post a Comment