Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Typography - Call to Action - Marinda Risk


I've always loved cats, and I was thinking of how to incorporate the word "relax" into a cat's form. Cats are pros at relaxing, but one thing they do take seriously is catching prey. I decided to create a cat and mouse silhouette to capture a feeling of calm relaxation punctuated by impending danger - yet the cat is removed from the danger, and knows the mouse will die regardless of whether he takes the bait in the mousetrap or not. The call to action is for the viewer to relax, and calm down, because regardless of the actions taken the outcome will be the same in many situations (although unfortunate for the mouse.)
 I chose a rather chaotic font in red for "control" to emphasize impending doom for this particular mouse, in stark contrast to the free-form "relax" which follows the cat's form. "Under" also happens to be underneath the mousetrap, which was a slight visual play I wanted. The direct line of the cat, text, and mouse was designed to create a tension and connection I wanted between the hunter and its prey.



No comments:

Post a Comment