Monday, July 13, 2015

Gestalt Theory (face/vase)

I know that there are other images that have the same purpose out there, but I wanted to create my own. I used the two theories of figure/ground and proximity.

Figure/Ground theory is the basis of many "optical illusions". Our minds automatically see one object first, but after a couple seconds, our mind will switch positions to view something completely different. In this case, you can either see two profiles of people facing one another, or four vases/candlesticks. Even though I am the one who created it, when I glance at it, the vases are the first images I notice, then it quickly switches to the faces. 

Proximity theory is when elements grouped together that could been seen as one object/unit. Once looking at the image, I realized it could also be similarity as well. Since all of the parts of the image are touching, we see it as one unit. They also repeat the same design, which causes us to perceive the similar characteristics as belonging together. 

I love any kind of optical illusion or anything that causes my mind to almost question itself. Not that this one that I created is anywhere near as crazy as the others I have seen, I still think it's amazing how the mind can perceive so many different things at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment