Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Image Semiotics

http://www.reellifewisdom.com/taxonomy/term/meaningful_living

This image of a man fishing on the shore of the ocean is something that I found online. I see the denotation as a man that is just fishing, enjoying his day off or vacation and he looks happy. It looks like he is at the ocean and not a lake because of the giant wave and the horizon being so far out. That is where my analysis of the connotation comes in. I don't see many good fish being caught that close to the shore. The waves are carrying a lot of things to shore but not the fish he wants with that big pole. So I see it as a man who is fishing just because he likes to be fishing, and it relaxes him, not because he is looking to get a huge fish. Either that, or he just doesn't understand the way that there aren't many fish out there. Either way he is enjoying it. That makes me think that the underlining meaning of the image is that we should enjoy what we do even if we aren't always winning or catching the biggest fish. We should be happy like this man fishing for nothing. That was the meaning that I got from it and it. Especially coming from a movie website with inspiration quotes to go along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment