Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Semiotics II: Umbrella

I recently saw this painting and it caught my attention because I feel like it holds a lot of symbolism.
This is obviously a painting of a yellow umbrella against what is supposed to look like a rainy day.
But is it really just a rainy day?

To me, this painting shows hope and confidence. In a literal sense, we use umbrellas to protect us from unwanted weather circumstances. Whether its pouring rain, or blistering hot, the umbrella can bring comfort and ease and used as a shield to keep us comfortable. 

This painting contains obvious, yet softer colors to depict the surroundings. Everywhere above and to the sides of the umbrella's coverage is dark and dreary, when directly underneath the umbrella is light, colorful, and happy.  

These colors could represent our life experiences and the emotions and feelings they bring. The umbrella represents us. There will be many, many times where life will bring trials and hardships that seem like they will drown us. There isn't much we can do to stop these bad experiences; its out of our control, just like the weather. But we do have control over how we react and pick ourselves back up, or in this example, how we protect ourselves from those hardships. If we hold onto something strong in our lives, we can protect ourselves from falling apart. As the painting portrays, even though the top of the umbrella is being tested, it is made out of material that can withstand the bad weather. We can build ourselves into a "material" that can withstand dire circumstances as well, and that's completely up to us. Underneath the protection of the umbrella, the colors represent how we can still feel happy and hopeful during hard times, if we have the proper equipment or attitude.

I also related this in a spiritual sense. There are going to be countless times in my life where I'm going to have doubts or concerns about my beliefs. I already have had experiences that have really tested my faith, but because of the foundation I have built for myself, I am able to keep myself protected from those negative feelings and remember what I truly feel in my heart.

We do not have to be victims of our circumstances.

1 comment: