Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Typography

He was 18. He was healthy, smart and strong.
He was captain of the soccer team, a faithful eagle scout and a lover of the Bible.
My dad was fearful but willing to serve in the Vietnam War as a boy. In a conversation I had with my dad recently about his experience, he said that it would have been an honor to serve his country but he's grateful that he was never drafted. With these remarks on my mind, I chose to go the traditional route in selecting a "call to action" phrase. 
I chose to use the retro army font because of the meaning it holds, but cut off the font with the image of soldiers marching. I chose this design to depict these words literally hanging in the air above them, like the soldiers could feel this push to keep walking, to keep trying. But it also looks like the words will crush them, like the soldiers have to bear up the words on their own backs. It makes the viewer question if the push to "march on" is really worth it. Will the big, overbearing letters just collapse on them? Should they just give up and fall under the weight of the letters? Or do they have the strength to keep marching? Can they do it?
The typography acts as a symbol. It forces the little soldiers to be strong and keep going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment