Monday, October 26, 2015

Gestalt & Color | Batman


I decided to use two Gestalt principles: closure and proximity. The "fall" in the design is obviously meant to have the feeling of falling down, but also since it is broken up into different objects it follows the proximity principle from Gestalt. The reader will interpret this as one unit rather than several different units because of the proximity. 

The closure principle is my favorite from Gestalt. This design is very popular and as I was experimenting with my design I felt that it accented the message that I wanted to communicate. I tried not using closure and it seemed boring. When I applied the closure principle it accented the words that I wanted to be the focal points. 

Although I'm a novice at design, I feel like the falling of the word "fall" causes the reader to continue to read the design rather than having it just be another boring question. This Gestalt principle teaches that readers are drawn to objects that are broken up but are in close proximity. 


I used kuler.adobe.com to find the right shade of red to apply to the font that I wanted to be in color. I tried using complementary colors or adjacent colors,  but it communicated a different kind of message. I wanted the message to be serious and simple rather than have elaborate colors. I used the color scheme for the "fall?" and also for "learn" and "back up." This helped accent the right words and draw attention to the major points of the short message. 

I decided to use a dark shade of red. I like colors that have a lot of hue added to them because I'm not a fan of bright colors on a simple design. I changed the color options in Adobe InDesign to RGB and adjusted the color swatches to match the RGB in the color scheme I chose on kuler.adobe.com 

In class Professor Cutri showed a few examples of this assignment. The "Fail, Fail, Fail, Succeed" design captured my attention. It was just a white background with black font and used the closure technique. I decided that I didn't want to do any harmonious coloring because I wanted the design to be the focus rather than the color scheme. 


No comments:

Post a Comment