Monday, October 26, 2015

Gestalt/Color Mash-Up


    The whole of this image is greater than the sum of its parts. Each of the parts of this image are comprised of letters and shapes, but holistically this image shows a roller coaster scene made up of the letters of my name. Similarly, my initials "SP" are combined into one symbol, making the sum of the two letters more meaningful and eye-catching. The principles of gestalt theory this image espouses are those of continuation and proximity. Continuation because the eye flow moves from left to right and down, allowing the elements (letters) to combine in a continuous fashion such as a rollercoaster. And proximity because the elements are close together. If the letters and shapes were not as close together as they are, this image might not be viewed as one unit, or as a rollercoaster scene in this instance.
    The relationship of the colors used in this image follow that of a monochromatic scale. In other words, there is one main color, purple, and variations of it are used to emphasize different elements in this image. The colors are also harmonious in the sense that they are similar to one another, the only difference being their tints, shades, and tones. These colors give the image a peaceful feel and maybe a little bit of a personality.
    By incorporating elements of Gestalt Theory and Color Theory into my image, I have been able to say more with my image than what I could have just by typing my name out. The rollercoaster element and the colors have allowed my name to take on a personality, maybe a personality of silliness and adventure, or maybe something else. It can be interpreted differently for different viewers. The point is, by using these two theories, I have created an image that communicates something more than just my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment