Friday, December 20, 2013

Beat the Stink Listerine Campaign





For my print ads, I wanted to create ads that were eye catching and comedic. I
thought I could take a product that was fairly well known, and put a different spin
on how it is advertised. I wanted the print ad to use a picture to tell a story, and
then to have a small slogan to go along with it. My goal was to use Gestalt principles
of continuation and figure ground, and also typography to have the ad stick in
reader’s minds. 

I first developed the thought of how to use a picture or art to display something
comedic. I thought that Listerine was a good everyday product that is seen in a ton
of stores, but I have not seen advertised very much. I thought of what Listerine
does for people. I realized that for me Listerine is something that can eliminate any
crazy odor that my mouth omits.

So I started to brainstorm common breath odors and how I could depict them in a
funny way. I decided to use very similar side profiles of people with their tongues
sticking out and then change their tongues to look like funny objects. In all three
ads, I used the principle of continuation as the tongue of the person would point at
the product. I tried to make the viewer’s eye move from the top of the page, to the
object in a person’s mouth, and then finally to the Listerine bottle.

Another principle I used is that of figure ground. I used figure ground to create
a background behind the people, and also make the ad more simplistic. As I was
looking for photos, I had to find photos that had warmer colors and that were
similar to create a very similar feel among each ad. The three photos are color
photos, and they have a darker background around their faces to create contrast.
I chose the American Typewriter font, because it seemed to fit the comedic and
playful tone of the ad. This font also had tails and was easy to read on a darker
background. I choose to make the font white to match the border of the ad and give
it a more unified appearance.

Overall, I feel like I was able to use Gestalt principles, principles of color, and
typography to create an Ad that describes the benefits of Listerine.

No comments:

Post a Comment