Thursday, December 19, 2013

Final Project Magazine







The Idea 
For my magazine spread I was trying to create a two-page opening for the story and then a two-page layout for the actual writing- in a lot of magazines we see large pictures and headlines on the first few pages and then fine print telling us where to find the actual story. I like the idea of those eye catching openers and I chose to do mine on an underground graffiti street artist named BANKSY. My main purpose was to create something I normally wouldn't- I'm used to clean lines and normal topics. I also wanted to make something that was interesting and different to look at. While I used some typical magazine inspiration, I tried to do something a little more...Banksy. 

Design Principles 
1. Gestalt Principle of Continuation and Closure: In the first two-page spread with all the artwork, the eye follows the upward trail starting at the bottom left and moving to the upper right of the page. The negative space helps the flow of the eye look in that one diagonal piece. The lettering also has closure- our eyes fill in the "B" and "A" and "Y"
2. The same spread has asymmetrical balance with that negative space and creates a balance of its own in the way the artwork is placed
3. The typography is consistent throughout the article as well, but I was able to play with the words 'unknown artist' and make it look like a ransom note magazine style to add more emphasis to that piece. The italicized small print guiding readers to the next page is also a form of typography with font size and style. 
4. The main magazine cover "Vintage Life" has a lot of different typographic styles and uses principles of color, composition, and balance to create a magazine cover that you could find even today. 





No comments:

Post a Comment